Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Amish


I just got done reading the Annie's People Series By Beverly Lewis. I was so mesmerized I couldn't put them down until I finished them. Besides my family, visiting the Amish farms in the summer is what I miss back home in Pennsylvania. Yep, I am a "northerner" or "yank" as I am sometimes referred to here in these parts of the south. I married a true southern gentleman who sometimes gets a negative reaction for marrying a northern gal but I am proud to say he wouldn't have it any other way but, The funny thing is when we go to PA to visit my family I notice alot of ladies falling all over themselves and are always trying to engage him into some kind of conversation just to hear his southern accent. On the last visit home he wanted to see Amish and I wanted to shop and browse their stands along the road that were set up with all kinds of wonderful things they sell from quilts, eggs to produce they farmed on their lands to homemade baked goods which are my favorite. Fresh from the oven and still warm they are packaged and lovingly placed out on the shelves of their stands usually right next to the jars of jelly, jams and all sorts of other canned goods for the "fancy" or "Englishers" to come browse. Oh, the thoughts of the wonderful smells of fresh breads, pies,cookies and cakes has me totally craving an Amish Wet Bottom Shoofly Pie! This gooey molasses pie is oh so good. I was thinking I will make one and I am going to share the recipe with you in hopes you might enjoy a piece of Pennsylvania Dutch as well.







1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons shortening

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup dark corn syrup (blackstrap is recommended)
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust




DIRECTIONS
To Make Crumbs: In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and shortening. Cut ingredients together with a pastry cutter or rub with fingers until dough forms fine crumbs. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
To Make Filling: In a medium bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water. Stir in corn syrup, molasses, salt and egg being sure to stir well. Pour 1/3 of mixture into unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumbs over mixture. Continue this process until crumb mixture and liquid mixture have been used up.
Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 minutes.




Take Care,
post signature

No comments: